G. A.R./VFW/American Legion

Tue May 29 21:21:26 UTC 2001

In a message dated 5/29/01 4:47:02 PM, markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< I remember a Methodist Church in Iowa with a G.A.R. donated memorial
stained
glass window, with Lincoln as the subject. >>

Yes, and now I guess the GAR is replaced by the VFW, which I believe was
founded by WWI vets, just as the American Legion was founded by WWII vets? I
seem to recall that the VFW tried to stay alive by admitting members from
Viet Nam -- is this true? There is a VFW Post listed under Clubs in the
Durham, NC, yellow pages, but no American Legion.