Elm

Wed May 30 22:48:30 UTC 2001

Rudy,

Now here's the next question for ordering. Can an /I/ derived from an
/E/ participate in (i.e., serve as a "feeder" for) the raising and
tensing of the Southern Shift? That is, can such an /I/ be realized
as something like [iy@]? There are other such wonderfful ordering
curiosities to examine. In some South Midland areas influenced by the
Southern Shift, mid and high lax vowels tense before palatal
continuants (especially /sh/) so that [fIsh] becomes [fiysh]. Now if
this is a feeder to the Southern Shift, we would expect a lowering
(at least of the onset) to [fIysh]. I'ma look at this too.

dInIs

preston at pilot.msu.edu
Office: (517)353-0740
Fax: (517)432-2736