ice cream parlers (was: CONtract/conTRACT)

Thu Nov 1 13:50:16 UTC 2001

Bill Labov used to say theat Phildelphia was the northernmost outpost
of southern speech. Maybe he missed. Sorr larry that I missed who was
being "noed."

More seriosuly (although all that was pretty serious), I suspect that
so-called compound stress rules get confused with lexical item rules
(which, of course, are surely the source of compound rules in the
first place). On the other hand, one would expect a great deal of
variation there (although social variation, resulting from the
general stigmatization of southern speech, is also to be expected
even in single lexical items).

Throughout this discussion, although individual examples are welcome,
we seem to be missing a set of related facts:

1) Southerners seek to  move stress to "root" syllables, and root
syllable is easy to confuse with first syllable (when historical
morphology is not available to the ordinary native speaker).

2) When compounds show variation in stress assignment, southerners
will go for the first (putative root), hence the southernesss of ICE
cream (although I did not intend to suggest that it was exclusively
southern).

3) Other factors conspire in this search:

a. If the first syllable can be deleted (leaving a semantically
distinct form) to achieve root stress, do it (tater for potato, bout
for about, scuse for exscuse), a process by no means limited to
southern speech byt preferred there.

b. If two syllables can be merged (to produce stress on the "root"),
do so. Someone wrote in about CLUM-bus, Ohio [I never heard
CO-lumbus], a good example, although I have also heard CLUMPS. Note
how a number of interesting processes take the strange city name "New
ALbany" (with stress in the "wrong" place) and convert it to NAWB-ni
(stress where it blongs [please note "blongs"]) - nuAWLbuni -->
l-vocalization --> nuAWbuni --> weak syllable loss --> nuAWBni -->
vowel colescence (regressive assimilation) --> NAWBni (each reduced
form, by the way, is attested).

So, POlice and DEtroit and INsurance may all be interestring
citations, but there is a quite regular (and tricky) set of processes
going on here, ones often not seen as related

dInIs

preston at pilot.msu.edu
Office: (517)353-0740
Fax: (517)432-2736