Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Nov 1 18:22:38 UTC 2001

--On Thursday, November 1, 2001 9:18 am -0600 "Donald M. Lance"
<LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU> wrote:

> Is the stress still on CREAM in "ice cream cone" in British English?  And
> are you thinking of RP, or of other lects in Jolly Ol'?

It's general southern England, as far as I can tell.  This was an item that
a Brit pointed out to me as being different (to/from theirs) in my dialect.

I don't know that I've heard "ice cream cone" in British English.  There's
another lexical item for this: cornet.


M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH

phone +44-(0)1273-678844
fax   +44-(0)1273-671320

More information about the Ads-l mailing list