Landmarks Club Cook Book (1903)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 2 03:13:12 UTC 2001

   I stand corrected--the LANDMARKS CLUB COOK BOOK _is_ at Yale.  It's also at the Texas Woman's University.  I can't remember if I saw it there during my massive cookbook search, but I checked all of the shelves.
   Recently published is: AMERICAN CHARACTER: THE CURIOUS LIFE OF CHARLES FLETCHER LUMMIS AND THE REDISCOVERY OF THE SOUTHWEST (Arcade Publishing, NY, 2001) by Mark Thompson.  I read it, but there's little to nothing about Lummis's LANDMARKS CLUB COOK BOOK.
   Other early California cookbooks at Yale (that possibly have "ciopino" or Mexican foods) are:

QUEEN ESTHER COOK BOOK
Los Angeles, Calif.; The Circle
1904

THE REFUGEES' COOK BOOK
by One of Them
San Francisco
1906 (After the earthquake--ed.)

SAN ANTONIO COOK BOOK
Oakland, Calif.; Ladies of St. Anthony's Parish
1908

THE STOCKTON COMMUNITY COOK BOOK
Stockton Calif.; The Ladies
1924

Other books I have to check out:

THE OAKLAND SOUVENIR COOK-BOOK:
TRIED AND FOUND GOOD
Oakland, Calif.; The Church
1905
(Possibly has "ciopino" in its 128 pages.  At Radcliffe, where I'll have to visit on a day trip soon--ed.)

EXPOSITION COOK BOOK:
COMPILED FROM TESTED RECIPES OF THE LADIES OF EAST SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
East San Diego, Cal.; Moyer Printing Company
1915
(72 pages.  Made for the Panama-Pacific Exposition.  Available at San Diego State Univ.--ed.)

COOK BOOK OF SAN DIEGO
Krombach, Beatrice De Lack
San Diego, Calif.
60 pages
1917 1916 (sic)
(At the Univ. of Cal., Santa Barbara and Minn. Historical Society--ed.)

A CALIFORNIA COOK BOOK
Williamson, Sarah M.
San Francisco, Town Talk Press
47 pages