Halloween pronunciation

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SMTPGATE.SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Nov 2 15:39:25 UTC 2001

I don't follow--what does cot/caught merger have to do with it?  They aren't even all the same vowels. I have this merger, but say 'Hal oween.'
No, I was not suggesting any connection with the names of the two states--just an observation.  I will add, though, the pronunciation of two towns in Colorado.  My aunt and uncle live in Pueblo, which they pronounce as 'pee-eb-lo.'  My mom and gramma are from 'Conejos,' pronounced 'cun-ess.'
Fritz
>>> Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU> 11/01/01 05:54PM >>>
This makes some sense, if you're a cot/caught merger; thus, 'hall' is
extended to 'hallow,' again with no understanding, presumably, of the
meaning of the word.  I'm sure there's no connection with the Spanishizing
of the two states' names, which, someone wrote here a few years ago, seems
to be an Eastern thing, right?  (Outsiders, as usual, get it wrong.)