Self-Starter (New Haven, 1900?)

Mike Salovesh salovex at WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Thu Nov 8 06:52:58 UTC 2001

Barry:

(I'm still catching up with a two-week backlog of unread email):

The self-starter was independently invented by a whole lot of people. The
NYHT report of 1954 may be quite right in asserting that John Petrie was
one of them. The details in their story, nonetheless, are quite wrong. The
reason why cars in 1900 carried batteries had nothing to do with starting
-- they were there to provide the sparks that ignited the fuel to make the
car go.  Once the engine got going, it made sense to use some of its power
to drive a generator to keep the batteries charged. Once generators were
there, it took no great leap of the imagination to think of reversing the
process by using the battery's power to turn over the engine.  The idea
would have been immediately obvious to anyone with an interest in cars and
some knowledge of electricity.  (It was so obvious that it raised questions
about whether the notion was patentable at all. That could easily be the
reason why Mr. Petrie didn't try for a patent.)

My wife's grandfather (James Madison Lynn, of Maywood, Illinois) was an
electrical contractor who applied for a patent on "his" invention of the
self-starter, sometime around 1900.  There were 23 others who filed for
patents at about the same time. There was a major court battle over
patentability and precedence.

The winner parlayed his patent into the establishment of General Motors.

Fortunately, Mr. Lynn was one of the losers.  (I say "fortunately" because
I surely would never have met my wife, let alone married her, if she had
been heiress to the fortune that the patent brought.)

-- mike salovesh   <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>   PEACE !!!

        IN MEMORIAM:  Peggy Lynn Salovesh
        25 January 1932  --  3 March 2001