Turkeyburgers & talking turkey

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 9 06:15:19 UTC 2001

TURKEYBURGERS

   A recipe for "Chickenburgers (or Turkeyburgers)" is in THIS WEEK, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 15 August 1954, pg. 26, col. 3.

TALKING TURKEY

   I met Andrew Smith at the New York Culinary Historians lecture on "turkey."  I brought along David Shulman, who enjoyed it.  Smith handed out a sheet about the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK, and I possibly will join the project.
   Smith is confident that "taco" is from California-Mex, but that one slim 1914 citation doesn't inspire confidence for me.  Why is "taco" not in the California-based OUT WEST and SUNSET (papers somewhere in this apartment) magazines?  That taco-less 1927 El Cholo menu is otherwise very detailed.  "Taco" is also not in the 1920s LOS ANGELES TIMES' cookbooks, which are also very detailed.
   We do agree that much food research is pitiful.  Mariani's work is awful.  Smith said he was surprised that he beat the OED four times on "ketchup."

PRACTICAL COOK BOOK
Second Edition
Sisterhood of the West End Synagogue
New York

Pg. 96:  Chicken a la King.

(His book has no date on it.  The Radcliffe Schlesinger Library gives it "190-," if I remember correctly.  If so, it's notable for this item--ed.)

BOHEMIAN SAN FRANCISCO:
ITS RESTAURANTS AND THEIR MOST FAMOUS RECIPES;
THE ELEGANT ART OF DINING
by Clarence Edword
Paul Elder & Co., San Francisco
1914

   I searched this book again, specifically for "ciopino."  I didn't find it.  I don't know why it's not here, in a book about San Francisco and Italian food and seafood.  But it's not.

Pg. 62:
_Palace Grill Salad_
Select three hearts of celery and cut them Julienne.  Cut some pineapple and pimentoes into dice.  Mix well together in a bowl and add mayonnaise sauce and a little whipped cream.  Sprinkle some finely chopped green peppers on top and serve very cold.