Harry Potter movie

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Wed Nov 21 10:55:46 UTC 2001

--On Tuesday, November 20, 2001 9:38 pm -0800 Benjamin Barrett
<gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote:

> Evidently the word "sorcerer's stone" is used several times in the
> movie by people who are otherwise using British English. Will the
> movie have British takes with "philosopher's stone" inserted?

They filmed two versions of all the scenes with 'philosopher's stone' in it.

I've noticed that Philip Pullman's young-adult crossover books also had the
first one titled differently in the US (The Golden Compass) and the UK
(Northern Lights).  The next two are named the same in both places.  And
the latest Naked Chef book is here called _Happy Days with the Naked Chef_,
but otherwise titled in the US because the publisher didn't want Americans
to think it was a book about the Fonz.  One gets the feeling that
publishers think readers are stupid...

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844