Collateral Damage

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 22 14:51:24 UTC 2001

Philadelphia Inquirer, November 21, 2001, page A1 article "Afghans say losses
bearable if U.S. bombs usher in peace" by Andrew Maykuth:

(the following quote is from the jump on page A20 column 3)
[after discussing conflicting claims of the numbers of casualties] <quote>it
may be impossible to get an exact figure of what military officials used to
call "collateral damage." <end quote>

Well, this is different from the numerous articles by journalists that imply
"collateral damage" is a current military term.

I might also add that, according to one report, an upcoming Arnold
Schwartzenegger film is to be entitled "Collateral Damage."

          - Jim Landau

P.S.  NPR this morning reported that the Secretary of Defense, in a speech
given to "Unconventional Warfare" troops at Fort Bragg, described his
audience as the people who respond "when the President dials nine one one."
(I'm not sure of the exact quote, as I was chopping onions for stuffing at
the moment and was therefore somewhat distracted.)