What is the technical term for II or Jr.

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Nov 26 21:03:44 UTC 2001

In the usage of the Nebraska Dept. of Motor Vehicles, the driver's license
folks, such generation designations are known (pace morphologists) as
suffixes. I don't believe this extends to Ph.D. etc.

Barnhart wrote:

> A reference librarian asked me if there's a technical term for the
> generation designation, such as Jr. or the numerical designation II,
> III, IV, etc.
> She also asked if the same term, if one exists, applies to the
> abbreviations which often follow a person's name, such as Ph.D. or M.D.
> Regards,
> David Barnhart
> barnhart at highlands.com

More information about the Ads-l mailing list