CONtract/conTRACT

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Nov 28 17:51:59 UTC 2001

From:    "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU>

: Have you been out practicin yore stress since 10/31? The
: Ioway stress rules you got are way too complicated fer
: me. I ADDress the envelope one minute, and give a short
: ADDress to the audience the next.

Do you PREsent a PREsent to someone, too?

I myself ADDress an envelope by putting an ADDress on it, but i preSENT
people with PREsents.

: dInIs (one of whose students went to syntax class the other
: day and was told by the instructor that Professsor Preston's
: judgments about grammaticality were not trustworthy; in
: fact, the instructor reflected, they were dangerous)

For a time, i was forbidden to offer grammaticality judgments in one of my
undergrad syntax classes. (Something about accepting "for to" as a
preposition was the straw that finally broke the camel's back, IIRC.)

David Bowie                                   Department of Linguistics
Assistant Professor                            Brigham Young University
db.list at pmpkn.net                                   http://pmpkn.net/lx
   The opinions stated here are not necessarily those of my employer