Baker's book (off-topic)

David Bergdahl einstein at FROGNET.NET
Wed Nov 28 18:48:15 UTC 2001

>The "Navaho Code-talkers" of WWII have come up several times.  A book
by a Prof. of Linguistics, Mark C. Baker, called The Atoms of Language:
The Mind's Hidden Rules of Grammar (Basic, 2001) devotes its first
chapter to them, and evidently makes that chapter the keynote of the
book, an exposition of linguistic theory for the general reader.

I'm currently reading Baker's general audience book on parameters and find
it excellent; I highly recommend it.