"It doesn't matter the condition . ."

Ittaob at AOL.COM Ittaob at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 28 19:59:00 UTC 2001

Recently, there's been an ad running on NY radio from a charity called the
L'chaim Society. It urges listeners to donate their old cars to the society,
thus receiving a tax deduction and doing a good deed. One line in the
commercial sticks in my craw for some reason. It goes, "It doesn't matter the
condition of the car."

This seems like a dialectal construction to me, perhaps a Yiddishism. Now I'm
a native (non-Jewish) New Yorker, and I've probably heard this before, but it
just doesn't seem "right." I say this knowing that the construction is
grammatically equivalent to "The condition of the car doesn't matter." Also,
other uses of "it doesn't matter," like "It doesn't matter that you forgot ,"
"It doesn't matter the condition the car is in," etc., seem like perfectly
"standard" American English to me.

Any thoughts?

Steve Boatti