City/Avenue/Canyon of Heroes; Johnson; Elevator Shoe;

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 1 07:20:03 UTC 2001

CITY/AVENUE/CANYON OF HEROES

   Mayor Rudy Giuliani, on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (an awful show, IMHO), said that New York City is now the "City of Heroes."
   I did "Canyon of Heroes" (lower Manhattan, known for its frequent tickertape parades from Lindbergh-WWII), but I can't find it in the old archives.
   "82nd Swings Up Avenue Of Heroes in Battle Regalia" is in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 12 January 1946, pg. 1, cols. 3-7 headline.  The 82nd Airborne Division is shown going through the Washington Arch.  The "Avenue of Heroes" is Fifth Avenue.
   Of course, if the New York heroes get hungry, they can eat heros.

JOHNSON--The RHHDAS has Johnson=penis from the 1860s.  This pre-dates the fighter Jack Johnson.

GABBY STREET--I said he was a fight manager.  I meant baseball manager.  A baseball park was dedicated to him in Joplin, MO.  He was also a baseball announcer who helped to break in Harry Caray.

LITTLE ITALY--
NYHT, 24 December 1946, pg. 15, col. 7: "The little Italys of the city hum with holiday spirit."
WORLD, 17 November 1901, pg. 9, col. 3:  "PICTURESQUE 'LITTLE ITALY' AND ITS PEOPLE"
   "LITTLE ITALY" in Harlem does not bear any resemblance to the Italian quarters in Mulberry street, Macdougal street, or any of the other Latin quarters in the older part of the city.
   The section which boasts the name in Harlem lies between Third avenue and the East River and runs from One Hundred and Twelfth street to One Hundred and Sixteenth street.

ELEVATOR SHOE

   OED has 1940.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 9 February 1946, pg. 12, col. 4:

_Jesse Adler, 60,_
_"Elevator" Shoe_
_Merchant, Dies_
----------------
_Coined Advertising Slogan,_
   _"Now You Can Be Taller_
   _Than She Is," for Radio_
(...)
   The product he offered to give short men that extra height was a shoe with a built-up inner sole, which he called an "elevator shoe."  The refrain: "Old Man Adler and his elevator--elevator--elevator--elevator shoes," has been familiar to radio listeners for many years.

TIN PAN ALLEY (continued)

   From the NEW YORK WORLD-TELEGRAM, 19 January 1946, pg. 15, col. 1:

   _Alley Gets a Name._
   One day Monroe H. Rosenfeld, a newspaperman of the '90s and an occasional lyricist, entered his cubicle in the 28th St. sector and overheard him playing the piano.  Von Tilzer had muted the strings of the instrument with a newspaper.
   "It sounds tinny," said Rosenfeld.
   "Why not?" said Mr. Von Tilzer.  "This is tin pan alley."

   From the NEW YORK TIMES, 11 January 1946, pg. 23, col. 6:

   Mr. Von Tilzer is also credited with having helped to originate the phrase "Tin Pan Alley," a description for the songwriters' and publishers' section of the theatrical district.  His habit of placing a strip of paper against the strings inside a piano resulted in a tinny fake-orchestra effect.  It inspired a musical journalist to write an article called "Down Tin Pan Alley Way."

   My files contain "A Visit to 'Tin Pan Alley,' Where the Popular Songs Come From," THE WORLD, 3 May 1903, metropolitan section, page 3.  No one gets credit for the name.  There is no indication that "Tin Pan Alley" was coined by a WORLD story.  The 1903 story is not written by Monroe Rosenfeld.
   A check of Monroe H. Rosenfeld obituaries on 14 December 1918 do not mention "Tin Pan Alley."  I'll try to check the MORNING TELEGRAPH, though, and get his clipping file from the Performing Arts Library (when that re-opens).

K-9
   "USE K-9 FOR CHILLI" is a sign on the "DOG-TOWN DRUG STORE" on page one of the comcis section, THE WORLD, 27 October 1901.

LALAPOLOOSA
   "GEE!  HERE GOES FOR A LALAPOLOOSA" is spoken during a football game in the comic section, page 3, THE WORLD, 20 October 1901.