ogo

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Oct 2 19:07:13 UTC 2001

"Benjamin Barrett" <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM> writes:

Taking a hint from Barry Popik, I carried a notebook while in Hawaii
this past week. I found a couple of common words that I thought
might be useful to note (ogo and pupu/pupus are at the top of the
list), but I would like to check and make sure they aren't already
in dictionaries.
<<<<<

Whatever its source and meaning, "ogo" as such can't be Hawaiian: the
language has no /g/, and no voiced obstruents at all. Its phonemic
inventory is

p         k    ` (glottal stop)
m    n         h
w    l

i                   u
     e         o

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
 Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com