Pronunciation of 'Terrorism'.

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Oct 2 19:55:43 UTC 2001

dInIs says:

dInIs (who has "tearism" [if they was such a critter] and "terrorism"
as homphones)

     [unattributed quote, apparently of Mark Odegard]*
I have been noticing wide variation in the pronunciation of
'terrorism', etc.  It seems to depend on just how rhotic the
speaker's accent is. Everyone I hear on TV seems to have problems
with it, including politicians and newspeople themselves.

Some do it with one R, others with two, and people like me do it with
three.

Some people do it with two syllables, others (like me) with three.
<<<<<

Hmmmm. It takes me four syllables, though some people probably hear them as
three:

     'tEr R Iz @m   (R = syllabic r)

-- Mark A. Mandel

* I skipped Mark O's post because concentrated HTML makes my head hurt, so
I thought this was all by dInIs. Then I noticed that the latter text was
below his signature, so I searched the digest for "rhotic".