Mole Poblano & Gaspacho & Empanada (1839)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 3 03:45:41 UTC 2001

The "sic" is in the original NYPL catalog entry.

TEXAS WOMEN'S UNIVERSITY & "TACO" SEARCH

   TWU in Denton, Texas has over 7150 cookbooks.  I'm thinking of going down El Paso way.  Check out www.twu.edu and any cookbook you'd like me to look at.
   Not much new in the "taco" search.  The El Paso city directory was spare, then had "tamales" in the early 1930s.
   From EL PASO IN PICTURES (The Press, El Paso, 1971), pg. 165, showing this roadside billboard:

Eating out?
this is TACO
territory
KRAFT
amigo of the menu

(BOOK TEXT: NATIONAL advertisers now realize what El Pasoans have known all along.)

   From THEM WAS THE DAYS: FROM EL PASO TO PROHIBITION (Minton, Balch & Co., NY, 1925) by Owen P. White, pg. 149:

   _HOW NEW YORK CAME TO EL PASO_
(...)  Until New York began (Pg. 150--ed.) to interfere with out habits, we had had three a day.  They were called breakfast, dinner, and supper, were disposed of in the order named, and were never followed by any such stylish consequences as acute appendicitis, spontaneous duodenal deflection, or ptomaine poison.  But, of course, all this had to be changed.  At least that is what our wives and mothers and sweethearts thought about it, and so, just because it was being done on Long Island, we began to sip orange juice and eat mattress filling for breakfast, lunch in the middle of the day, and dine in the evening.

Pg. 164:  They all do it (Drink during Prohibition--ed.), and the best man generally gets away with a cup filled to the brim with _tequila_, or, as it is now being called, Border Scotch.

Pg. 198:  ...the old Pinkerton axiom of "once a crook always a crook."

(This is a colorful book, with "frijoles" and "tortillas" on page 212, but no "taco" in 1925--ed.)