till

Wed Oct 3 22:32:47 UTC 2001

In this area, "quarter till" is very clear if a vowel follows (i.e.,
"eight").  If no time follows, or the time is understood (with or without
repetition), the reply is generally "quarter till."  But last night a
student from Columbus told me (non-casually) that she mixes the two:  "a
quarter to six" but "a quarter till" with no number.  It may be that she's
reinterpreting her fast speech "tuh" as "to"; I'll ask her again using "eight."