"paper chase" --an odd use

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Oct 4 02:54:49 UTC 2001

    I have come across an interesting use of "paper chase." In the
1913 quote below it seems to refer to vigorous horseback riding by
two newspaper reporters ("war correspondents").  Or am I missing
something here?

    The quote below is from the newspaper _The San Francisco
Bulletin_, Feb. 28, 1913, p.17, col. 3 and refers to the S.F.
baseball team's spring training:

    'Boyes Springs, Feb. 28.--An exciting paper chase was held over
the valley roads this morning by two of the war correspondents at
Boyes.   One, who bears great resemblance to Don Quixote and spreads
joy wherever he goes, was mounted on a pony, Marquard by name, which
displayed left-handed tendencies [refers to southpaw pitcher Rube
Marquard]. The other rider was astride John McGraw and did some fancy
galloping along the main roads.  The two whirled into the ball yard
to glimpse the morning work and then, emitting wild yells, went
charging out of the lot in the direction of Caliente.'