LS-MFT (Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 4 21:15:36 UTC 2001

   When I went (years ago) to take my LSAT, my father called it the LSMFT.  Those ads are in every NYHT issue in 1946.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 14 September 1946, pg. 4, col. 5:

_George Washington Hill Dies;_
_Head of American Tobacco Co._
_Pioneer in Advertising of_
   _Cigarettes Pushed Lucky_
   _Strike Sales With Slogans_
(...)  Lucky Strike cigarettes set the style for cigarette advertising as it is today, and Mr. Hill was the indisputable creator of that advertising.
(...)
   His first major act, when he became associated with Lucy Strike, was to invent the slogan, "It's Toasted."
(...)
   "The Best Tunes of All Go to Carnegie Hall," "LS-MFT" (Lucky Stike means fine tobacco) and the gibberish of the tobacco auctioneer with its peculiarly clear refrain, "Sold, American," were more products of his fertile brain.