Statue of Liberty play

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Oct 4 22:06:14 UTC 2001

Barry Popik noted:

  "Statue of Liberty play" is not in OED.  Every touch football game,
guaranteed, somebody goes in the huddle and asks to run the "Statue of
Liberty play."
   A Google check of "Statue of Liberty play" and "Yost" doesn't turn up
much.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 21 August 1946, pg. 20, col. 2:
<<

Let me point out that "Statue of Liberty play" IS IN the just-published New
Oxford American Dictionary.  Excuse me for bragging (I worked on the book),
but the coverage of sports in this new dictionary is very good, thanks to
the fact that there were several serious sports fanatics on the staff.

Frank Abate
principal editor, New Oxford American Dictionary