Zeppole and Biscotti (1946)

Ittaob at AOL.COM Ittaob at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 5 03:00:19 UTC 2001

In a message dated 10/4/01 6:15:56 PM, Bapopik at aol.com writes:

<<    OED has 1976 for "zeppole."

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 19 September 1946, pg. 23, col. 7:

   ITALIAN SWEET NOTES--If you should happen to visit the Transatlantic Shop
cross the block to 922 Second Avenue at Forty-ninth Street and treat yourself
to something good from the cases of the La Piemonte Pastry Shop.  G. Alias,
baker and owner, was a former pastry chef at the Lafayette and Belmont
hotels.  He tells you he bakes French-Italian, but his sweets speak with a
marked Italian accent.  Saturday, he tells us, he will have the Zeppole
Sfinge, a cake baked only for St. Joseph's day.  Mr. Alias' granddaughter, a
(Col. 8--ed.) pretty young thing, maybe sixteen, told us that the chocolate
fudge cake was away up on her list.  And the brownies!  But for something
strictly Italian, we would advise the Cannoli, these at 15 cents apiece.  You
can buy Italian breadsticks, butter blessed, or those made of water.
Biscotti for sale, two kinds--the anise and nut.

Glad you found this. Zeppole clearly predate 1976. I was born in 1949, and
zeppole (promoted with large signs) were available at every Italian street
fair in NY through the 50s and beyond.

Steve Boatti

Steve Boatti