"pterodactoe"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Oct 5 03:46:56 UTC 2001

   Salikoko Mufwene wonders why his daughter perceived the last
syllable in  "pterodactyl" as "toe" rather than [til]. Here's a
guess: The strange, multi-syllable "pterodactyl" was associated in
the child's mind with the only word she knew that had even a passing
phonetic resemblance to it, viz. the game "tic-tac-toe"; "-dac-" in
"pterodactyl" was key here. Once the child focused on this "-dac-",
the next syllable just had to be "toe." Maybe the child was also
seeking symmetry: ter-oe-dact-oe.

---Gerald Cohen