"We take your bags and send them in all directions"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 6 02:54:43 UTC 2001

"WE TAKE YOUR BAGS AND SEND THEM IN ALL DIRECTIONS"

   A still-popular joke about how English can be misunderstood.  Sometimes it's with bags/baggage/luggage, so watch those keywords.
   From THIS WEEK, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 24 November 1946, pg. 2, col. 1:

SIGN in a Yokohama express agency:
"Give Us Your Baggage and We Will Send It In All Directions."

(It's interesting that a brief Google search gave no Japan connection.  The airport given is Copenhagen.  Political Correctness?--ed.)

POLETT, POLLETT, POLLET (WAS "THREADING THE NEEDLE")

   From Red Smith in the NYHT, 7 October 1946, pg. 22, col. 5:

   The Cardinals' Howie Polett...
   Several times Pollett...
   GENERALLY Pollet...

(It's a difficult name.  Why not try 'em all and see what works--ed.)