till

Jewls2u Jewls2u at WHIDBEY.COM
Mon Oct 8 13:49:01 UTC 2001

>>When my daughter was 7, I remember having an exciting discussion with her
about the pronunciation of "pterodactyl." She curiously pronounced its last
syllable as [tow], like in "toe" <<

It could be she heard it as toe because people tend to swallow the "tyl"
when saying pterodactyl which can sound like toe. It might also be she just
heard if funny the way that kids do. My friend's 4 year old son was singing
"Takin' care of business" along with the car radio. When he asked what the
words of the song were his son replied "I'm takin' care of biscuits..." in a
"duh, dad" sort of voice.

Julienne