McCarthyism and Herblock

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 8 18:02:36 UTC 2001

   I'm really surprised OED hasn't revised this entry to include Herblock.  Didn't I post this here before?
   From a check of this messy apartment:

HERBLOCK:
A CARTOONIST'S LIFE
by Herbert Block
Times Books, Random House, NY
1993, 1998

Pg. 133:
   The word "McCarthyism" originated--with no thought of creating a new term--in a cartoon in March 1950 that showed Senators Taft, Wherry and others pushing the Republican elephant toward a tower of tar barrels.  For want of a better term to summarize the issue, I labeled the top barrel _McCarthyism_.  After the word became popular, the senator tried putting it to his own use in a book called _McCarthyism_: he FIght for America_.  It is amusing to see some of McCarthy's successors apply the term to people who expose them.

(The cartoon is on Page 134, dated March 29, 1950--ed.)

HARPER'S WEEKLY FULL TEXT (continued)

   I forgot to add that a Harper's Weekly check for "carpet bagger" should be made.  It indicates that the term was used in the February 11, 1868, Montgomery (Alabama) MAIL.  This is a few days before I found "carpet bagger" in another Alabama newspaper.