Query on the name "Martinez"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 9 03:33:21 UTC 2001

Gerald Cohen said:
>><< This is a bit off-topic, but maybe someone can help. The "-ez"
>>of Spanish surnames like "Martinez" supposedly means "son of," so
>>"Martinez" is "son of Martin," just as (for example) "Johnson" is
>>"son of John."
>>       But where did this "-ez" come from?  Would anyone know?
>>  >>

>>Is this true? Then Gomez means "son of Gom" and Lopez means "son of Lop"?
>>These don't sound like Spanish given names.
>>
>>Steve Boatti
>
>    Elsdon C. Smith, _American Surnames_  (Baltimore: Genealogical
>Publishing Co.), 1986, says on p.33: "GOMEZ 'son of Gomo,' LOPEZ 'son
>of Lope,' MENDEZ  'son of Mendel',..." ---On p. 27: "LOPEZ 'wolf'..."
>---There was a Spanish dramatist and poet named Lope Felix de Vega
>Carpio (1562-1635).
>
>    But I still don't have a clue about how "-ez" got here.

Years ago, a friend who had studied Romance Linguistics told me that it's a
Late Latin case ending (genitive plural???), and that the general class of
names is a calque on Arabic names like Ibn X 'son of X'.
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu