Neology resources needed

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 11 17:43:59 UTC 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Paul McFedries wrote:

> I'm looking for resources (books, articles, Web sites, cocktail napkins,
> etc.) that discuss (either primarily or partially) neology: the ways that
> new words are formed, how new words propagate, why some stick and others
> don't, that kind of thing. Any and all pointers will be greatly appreciated.

A fascinating older book is Leon Mead, _Word-Coinage_ (1902).  He did
things like ask famous authors about whether they had ever knowingly
coined any words.  Most denied it, and said they would never dream of
doing such a thing.  I particularly find interesting Mark Twain's saying
that he had never coined a word as far as he knew; the historical
dictionaries list him as the first user of many hundreds of terms.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,