Jazzology (1916? Texas?)

Paul M. Johnson paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Sun Oct 14 15:00:33 UTC 2001

There is an 1831 letter from Lord Palmerston referring to Tallyrand
which says T. was Jazzing around.  Probably used as a vulgarity as in
"jaser/jazer" a french word referring to gossiping, but was used as
slang for carnal intercourse.

As to Baseball, The  San Fran bulletin of 3/6/1913 uses jazz as we would
use pepper or team spirit other quotes are from Mar. 3 & 8.  In addition
see the S.F. Bulletin of Apr. 5  article " In praise of jazz, a futurist
word who has just joined the language.