Superstar; Sloppy Joe & Mississippi Mud; Texas Bean Dip

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 14 23:52:54 UTC 2001

SUPERSTAR

   This term wasn't used frequently until the 1960s, but here's another citation.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 24 May 1953, section 4, pg. 1, cols. 5-7:

_James Stewart, Last of the Super-Stars_

(Continuation on page 3, column 8--ed.)

_James Stewart,_
_Super-Star_

SLOPPY JOE & MISSISSIPPI MUD

   "FULL-TIME FATHER" by Dick Ashbaugh was a joke column (like Erma Bombeck) in THIS WEEK magazine.  This is in 7 June 1953, pg. 20, col. 2 illustration:

(Caption--ed.)_MENU BY MOLLY:_ It made Daddy turn pale
(Illustration--ed.)
Menu
SLOPPY JOES
BIRDLEGS with DRAGONS BLOOD
FLYING SAUCERS
MISSISSIPPI MUD
MOO JUICE

(Col. 3, end of text--ed.)

   "Everything yummy," said the young cook.  "Sloppy Joes, birdlegs with dragon's blood and flying saucers.  For dessert there's Mississippi mud and whipped cream.  Moo juice to drink."
   "Sounds wonderful," I said paling slightly.  "But if you don't mind I'll--uh--eat later.  I may just slip down to the corner for a humburger with onion slice and French fries."
   She looked at me curiously.  "But, Daddy, that's just what we're having.  Sloppy Joe hamburgers, French fries with catsup and onion ring.  For dessert there's chocolate pudding.  If you don't want milk I'll make you coffee."
   "Is there anything I can do?" I asked.
   "You could whip the cream," said Molly, "only I can't find the eggbeater."
   From above stairs came a series of splashes and shrieks of glee.  "Never mind," I said.  "I'll take my Mississippi mud plain."

TEXAS BEAN DIP

   "How Americ Eats" by Clementine Paddleford, 24 May 1953, pg. 52, is titled "TEXAS BEAN DIP."
   Mentioned are frijoles, tortillas, molcajete, tejolote, olla, and salsa picante.
   WHERE IS "NACHO"?