Reflections on 1831 "jazz"

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Oct 15 15:22:20 UTC 2001

        It's also striking that one meaning of jaser is babble of a brook.
Compare the story, from the 11/9/1919 San Francisco Chronicle and referenced
in the archives:  "Art Hickman, of the St. Francis orchestra, once said that
the word jazz originated some time ago when the San Francisco Seals were
training at Boyes Springs. One member of the ball-tossing team commented on
a stream of water bubbling from the side of a bank, casting upon it the then
unknown word, "jazz" water."  To what extent has jaser been considered as
the source for jazz?  Palmerston's use, in this view, might be considered a
precursor of the modern word.

John Baker