Jazzology (1916? Texas?)

Mon Oct 15 16:58:15 UTC 2001

I have checked the New Handbook of Texas, 6 volumes, 6000+ pages, one
wouldn't suppose it would have to leave out much of significance due to
lack of space, but Oswin Kerrin King doesn't make it.  Neither
does "Red Sox", Texas, and since "Red Top" Texas does -- founded 100
years ago with a church and a school, and not consisting of a church
and a cemetery, evidently housing the early graduates of the school --
I suspect that Red Sox is a fictitious place.

I see also that the Dallas Evening Journal lasted from 1914 through
1919, then pupated as the Dallas Journal, which is not longer in
business.  The files of the Evening Journal, 1914-1919, are available
on microfilm.

As far as jazz in Texas goes: there is an entry of several pages in the
New Handbook under "Jazz".  The early years are not well documented
either by recordings or otherwise, but since the state is not that far
from New Orleans or from Kansas City, its likely enough that jazz was
played there.  Eddie Durham and Jack Teagarden were born in Texas in
the 190s.  There is generally a concept of "southwestern" style in jazz
playing of the 1930s that's associated with musicians from Kansas City
and the "territory" southwest of KC.

I note also that there is a very brief sketch of John Crosby, with a
list of his books and of a few articles about him,  in Contemporary
Authors, New Revised Series, vol. 4, and an obituary, with references
to several other obits, in Contemporary Authors, vol. 135.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African
Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.