Fwded posting from Barry Popik

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Oct 16 23:55:43 UTC 2001

   I asked the University of Texas-Austin about humor magazines and got this response...HELP (NYC, 1960s?) is a curious title that I noticed in their database.
   Any other suggestions, make 'em fast.  I leave tomorrow.

--Barry Popik

-------------------
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:19:49 -0500
To: Bapopik at aol.com
From: Jenifer Flaxbart <jflaxbart at mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Univ. of Texas humor magazines?

Hello Mr. Popik - I'm the Communication Bibliographer for The General
Libraries at UT Austin, and your question was forwarded to me for a
response.  I'm aware of two other publications that may be of interest to
you, one of which is held in both the Perry-Castaneda Library (PCL) and the
Center for American History (CAH), and the other of which is only at CAH.
These publications are entitled the Texas Ranger and the Deadly Texan.

You may check the holdings information in our online catalog at
www.lib.utexas.edu or review the brief display information pasted from
UTNetCAT below:

 1 The Texas ranger. / Austin / 1923-1929
   Summary of older volumes:
   PCL Circulation Desk -Q- LH 1 T4 T49 V.1 1923/24 through 1968/69
   Center for American History -Q- T378.764 UQT V.1 1923/24 through V.6
1928/29 USE IN LIBRARY ONLY

 2 Texas ranger. / The University of Texas longhorn with which is combined
the Texas ranger. / Austin / 1929-1933
   Summary of older volumes:
   PCL Circulation Desk -Q- LH 1 T4 L66 V.45 1929/30 through V.48 1932/33
   Center for American History T051 UN3M V.45 1929/30 through V.48 1932/33
USE IN LIBRARY ONLY

1 DEADLY TEXAN (AUSTIN, TX) /
   NEWSPAPER 1970 MAY 11 1976 APR 1 1979 APR 12 Center for American History
USE IN LIBRARY ONLY

As for your questions about HELP, I've contacted the Harry Ransom
Humanities Research Center (HRC) for holdings information.  They will send
me an e-mail message containing this information, which I will then forward
to you under separate cover.

You may visit any of the libraries on campus at your convenience, but you
may wish to call in advance to check hours, ask for directions, or schedule
assistance with special collections.  The phone numbers for the three
libraries mentioned above are:

PCL Circulation Desk  512-495-4300
Center for American History (CAH)  512-495-4515 (http://www.cah.utexas.edu/)
Harry Ransom Center (HRC)  512-471-9119
(http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/main/collections.html)

I hope you find this information helpful.  -- Jenifer

Jenifer O. Flaxbart
Communication Bibliographer and Off-Campus Library Services Coordinator
Reference and Information Services Department, The General Libraries
The University of Texas at Austin
512-495-4255