Swiss Enchiladas

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 19 18:39:59 UTC 2001

Barry writes:
>SWISS ENCHILADAS (continued)
>
>    I think I once posted a 1969 citation (check archives).  From Sam
>Huddleston's TEX-MEX COOKBOOK (1971), Pg. 11:
>
>    _ENCHILADAS SUIZA (Swiss Enchiladas)_
>(...)
>    The makins for this heavenly dish are as follows:
>1 dozen tortillas
>1 pt. sour cream
>1 can tomatoes
>1 small can of green chiles (see footnote)
>1 clove diced garlic
>2 diced onions
>1/2 lb. cheddar cheese grated
>a kiss of oregano
>deep fat

So far as I know, the Swiss cheese and the sour cream are not authentic to
Mexican cuisine, but rather, are a north-of-the-border development.
Correctly or not, I've tended to associate sour cream with 'Cal-Mex', while
5-alarm chili and the such is 'Tex-Mex'.

A beef and bean burrito served with hot sauce and sour cream might also be
described as a pierogi a la Mexico. The frozen burritos you get from the
Schwan man (a Midwestern institution, a home-delivery frozen food franchise)
resemble egg-rolls (you certainly cannot call the wrapping a proper
tortilla).