"If you want to send a message, use Western Union"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 26 02:00:35 UTC 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    Attributed to Louis B. Meyer or Samuel Goldwyn.  I don't know what
> Fred Shapiro has, but this is a famous Hollywood phrase.

It is quoted as a Golwynism as early as 1937.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,