Hero sandwich (Brooklyn Navy Yard, 1947); F-cktionary

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 29 16:28:40 UTC 2001

In a message dated 10/27/01 10:29:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

> I'm still somewhat puzzled. THE SHIPWORKER got larger in late 1946, but
still,
>  why didn't I find "hero" before this?  And why not a photo, or another
cite?
>  Why, when I visited Brooklyn College, did I find "hero" much later?  Why
is
> it also much later in the Brooklyn phonebooks?

Here's a far-fetched (not very savory?  inedible?) suggestion.

The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia has or had an exhibit on shipbuilding
in Philadelphia.  One of the displays was about the Hog Island shipyard and
claimed that the "hoagie" was invented by and for Hog Island and implies the
name "hoagie" is derived from the "Hog" of "Hog Island".  Someone might want
to contact the Franklin Institute and see what evidence they have for this
claim.

Might the term "hero sandwich" have originated at New York Naval Shipyard in
competition with the "hoagie" or " *hoagie sandwich" of Philadelphia
shipyards?  (This might explain the timing.)  Or vice versa?

      - Jim Landau

P.S. The magazine title refers to  "New York Naval Shipyard".  Is this the
same as the "Brooklyn Navy Yard" of the message title?