reverse acronyming

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Wed Oct 31 15:48:15 UTC 2001

To glom onto this topic:  how about acronyms that are used as
back-formed mnemonic devices, with an relationship in meaning between
the 'acronym' and the phrase it 'represents'?

The examples on the Bacronym page appear to be arbitrary words not
directly related to the concept at hand (unless there is an in-group
meaning to the acronymed words that is not apparent to an outsider).

I would think that the example that Prof. Johnson presents is one of
these.  Others (current among certain discourse communities) might
include GOD="good orderly direction", or EGO="everybody's got one".

Has there been any past discussion (within this list, or not) on this
phenomenon?