Fudge (Vassarion, 1893)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 31 20:24:10 UTC 2001

   Vassarion...It's these darn Vassar i-Macs that do these typos, not me!
   On to the next yearbook, and, from 1893:

Pg. 81 (part of a "Freshman Editorial" poem--ed):
And "Fudges" have a "shorter course,"
  We took it at V. C.,
And that is why the Sophomores
  Conferred on us A. B.

Pg. 104:
   FUDGES.
What is it that we love the best,
Of all the candies east or west,
Although to make them is a pest?
   Fudges.

What perches us upon a chair
To stir a sauce-pan held in air,
Which, tipping, pours upon our hair--
   Fudges.

What needs more stirring than oat-mush,
And more still when we're in a rush,
But what's e'en sweeter than a "crush"?
   Fudges.

What subtle oder doth recall,
To artless minds that "long-owed call,"
On the _sweet_ maiden up the hall?
   Fudges.

What one sweet solace serves for all
The woes, that can a maid befall,
While she sojourns in classic hall?
   Fudges.

One knowledge we'll from V. C. take,
Although all other lore foresake,
Well ne'er give up till we can make
   Fudges.

Pg. 130:
(Drawing of students making what looks like fudge--ed.)

Pg. 16 (ad section at back of yearbook--ed.):
Artless Freshie to Prexy.--Have you eaten fudges?  They are delicious.  We make them every afternoon, on our gas stove.
Prexy.--Ah, indeed.  Excuse me a moment (makes a memorandum in his note book).
Artless Freshie (two days later).--Isn't it horrid we don't have the gas on in the daytime any more?  We can't make fudges at all.  I wonder why they had it done.