CONtract/conTRACT

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SMTPGATE.SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Oct 31 23:13:32 UTC 2001

I think here in Oregon ICE-cream is the norm .  I don't know that I have ever even heard ice-CREAM from a webfoot.  I also live for 8 years in Minnesota and never heard anything but ICE cream.
My wife, also a native webfoot, applies stress to the first element of letter combinations.  For example, for her it's Vcr (VCR), Byu (Brigham Young University), and so on.  I do not know where she got this--it is certainly is not anything I have heard from anyone else here in Oregon and I am not sure her siblings or parents say it, altho I think her mom might.
Fritz Juengling

>>> "Peter A. McGraw" <pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU> 10/31/01 01:39PM >>>
I've always said ice CREAM, but my general impression is that neither one
would have struck me as out of place anywhere (OR, OH, NJ, CA) I've lived,
with the possible exception of Tennessee, where I'm not sure anybody but me
said ice CREAM.

(Didn't we have this discussion on this list a few years ago?  Or--is it in
Allan's book?)

Peter Mc.

--On Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:27 PM -0800 "ANNE V. GILBERT"
<avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET> wrote:

> Beverly:
>

>> No, Northerners (like us Minnesotans) usually say ice-CREAM, except in
>> the rhyme "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream."  BTW, my
>> diphthongs would all be centralized (or "Canadianized," if you
>> prefer)--to /wedge y/--in the stressed pronoun and 'ice'.
>
> It's ICE cream in the Seattle area AFAIK.
> Anne G

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu