CONtract/conTRACT

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Oct 31 23:48:51 UTC 2001

All RIGHT, then!  I guess I'm exposed as a Californian (Oh the
humiliation!), at least where frozen desserts are concerned.   I remember
very clearly Miss Ranly, my first grade teacher in San Diego, asking each
of us what we wanted to be when we grew up, and why.  (The answers later
turned up in a presentation for Parents' Day.)  I wanted to be a Good Humor
man, and when I couldn't really decide why, she prompted me, "Because you
like ice CREAM?" and I figured that was as good an answer as any.  I didn't
find her pronunciation in any way remarkable, but I can still hear her
saying it.

Peter Mc.

--On Wednesday, October 31, 2001 3:29 PM -0800 "A. Maberry"
<maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU> wrote:

> It's ICE-cream and RE-search for this temporarily displaced Oregonian.
>
> allen
> maberry at u.washington.edu
>
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>
>> I think here in Oregon ICE-cream is the norm .  I don't know that I have
>> ever even heard ice-CREAM from a webfoot.

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu