ice cream parlers (was: CONtract/conTRACT)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 31 11:53:17 UTC 2001

At 6:54 PM -0500 10/31/01, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>Whatcha mean "No."? That's what I said. Southerners say ICE cream
>(like all the other items in my list).

Beverly was saying "no" to *me* (who had opined, based on his own
non-southern initial stress pattern on "ICE cream", that everyone in
this joint uses initial stress here, as opposed to your other exx),
not to *you*, dInIs.  The point remains that "ICE cream", even if not
the universal U.S. stress pattern, is a lot more general than
"CE-ment" or "UM-brella" (or my nominee, PO-lice), all of which may
(for all I know) be truly Southernisms.  I guess New Yorkers are more
southerners than northerners when it comes to ice cream, according to
the diagnostics we're compiling.  Could it be the upper Midwesterners
who are the outliers on this one?

larry