CONtract/conTRACT

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 31 12:32:20 UTC 2001

P.S.  It just occurred to me that the above cited speakers might
indeed say "conTRACT a disEASE"  but say "CON-tract AN-thrax" because
of the famous "rhythm rule" in English stress (four-TEEN vs.
FOUR-teenth FLOOR).  Just a guess.  It also might be "contamination"
from CON-tact (where verb and noun both have initial stress).

larry