Kasownik

Mon Sep 3 13:49:30 UTC 2001

>  Barry,

Make sure you go not only to the famous beachfront and Grand Hotel
(with its lifesize chess pieces) but also to the Baroque church in
Sopot which has one of the most elaborate mechanized organs in the
world. Drummers drum, knights joust, angels fly and trumpet, etc...

"Organ," by the way, is pluralia tantum in Polish, and led to one of
my favorite translated notices (in Gdynia): "In this church may be
viewed the maginificent organs of St. John." It's almost as good as
the Poznan culinary notice "Chickens roasted on spit."

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages