Dyngus Day

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 5 17:53:16 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Bialystock, Poland.  I just finished a tour of Hitler's bunker (Wolfschanze), where there was an assassination attempt in 1944.  The tour guide was a nice woman who burst into a "Bridge over the River Kwai"-type tune about Hitler's one ball.  (See ADS-L archives.)
   I return home on Saturday.

DYNGUS DAY--See www.dyngusday.com.  It's the day after Easter when women have wet T-shirts.  Boy, did I tour Poland on the wrong day...This Polish term is not in the OED.  Search also for "Smingus Dyngus."

BOXING MONDAY--The day after Easter is also called "Boxing Monday."  Also not in the OED.

COFFIN COMPARTMENT--Visually shown on "Insight" on CNN, in a story about Mexican immigration to the U.S.  It's a hidden vehicle compartment where immigrants are stored, but there's little air, and they often suffocate from the vehicle's fumes.  Horrible.