"being have"

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Sep 7 14:10:43 UTC 2001

George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU> sez:

Lynne Murphy objects that in the passage
    "She came in on the Charleston wave, / What I told you, she just
won't have"
"there's no 'be' there--so I don't think this is a case of 'to be have'
at all.  "

But "will" (won't) is the future tense of "be".  So that in this
instance the idea of "being have" is so assimilated that the verb has
been adapted.
<<<

Come again?
     *I will there at 4:30.
     *You'll delighted with it.
     *She'll coming round the mountain when she comes.
     *We'll together again.
     *We shall/will not moved.

When, where, and for whom is "will"/"won't" the future tense of "be"?

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
            Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com