"being have"

Fri Sep 7 18:31:17 UTC 2001

Why must this be derived from "be have" and not "behave" with initial
(unstressed) syllable deletion (as in tater, coon, possum, mater, and
lots of other such words)?

I have certainly heard the "I am being have" children's story enough
to believe it (and believe it is a process which language acquirers
duplicate often), but it does not seem relevant here.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages