Super-Star (1964); You & Your Passport Photo

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 11 08:08:12 UTC 2001

SUPER-STAR

   As I posted before, the OED has 1926 and then 1969.  Andy Warhol claims to have coined it, but I traced that to 1966.
   From CLYDE (A PLAYBOY/ESQUIRE-type publication in the 1960s), April 1964, pg. 36:

_HOCKEY'S_
_NEWEST_
_SUPER-STAR_
by Stan Fischler

(Bobby Hull...See also my work on "supermodel" in the old archives--ed.)

WHEN YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR PASSPORT PHOTO, IT'S TIME TO COME HOME

   The title of a book by the late Erma Bombeck.
   However, the conception that you don't look like your horrible passport photo is not new.
   From a cartoon in PIC, December 1948, pg. 107, col. 1:

(Husband and wife are in chairs on the deck of a ship.  The husband looks terrible, and the wife says...--ed.)

"You're beginning to look like your passport photo."