"Being Wanded" (Airport Security)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 17 05:51:30 UTC 2001

   Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta, on the PBS News Hour program, said that tougher airport security measures will include more people "being wanded."
   You know what that means--taken aside by airport security, with a wand scanning your pockets and such.
   I haven't seen "wand" recorded as a verb.  There are quite a few hits on the usual computer databases.

(PERSONAL:  Under strict orders from my sister, my trip to Georgia/Armenia/Azerbaijan and then to Iran, which had been scheduled for 6 p.m. Monday, is cancelled.  The Iran trip was to have been led of UT-Austin's Denise Schmandt-Besserat, author of ANCIENT PERSIA and HOW WRITING CAME ABOUT.  Expect loads of food postings from the NY Herald Tribune instead.)