"Holy War" (from the Crusades?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 18 17:28:04 UTC 2001

"HOLY WAR"

   From REUTERS, 9-18-2001:

   The Arabic word "jihad" is often translated as "holy war" but a more accurate translation is "holy struggle."  Islamic scholars say the term "holy war" was actually coined in Europe during the Crusades to mean a war against the Muslims.

(I completely disagree.  Yes, "holy war" was used during the Crusades.  But, depending on how you translate it, the Dead Sea Scrolls have whole parchments devoted to the "holy war" between the forces of light and the forces of darkness.  English goes back only so far, but the concept of a "holy war" was not new to the Crusades--ed.)

MISC.

PATRIOTISM STOCKS/INVESTING--I've been looking for this in stock market reports today, but I haven't found any names for it.  This would include staying in the stock market and not selling, or buying airline stocks, or buying defense stocks.

FLEE MARKET--From the NEW YORK POST, 9-18-2001, pg. 18, col. 4:
   They've opened makeshift restaurants with their names scrawled on cardboard, like "The Freedom Cafe."  In the abandoned Gateway Towers, they organize boxes of clothes, boots, hard hats and gear, outfitting work-worn rescuers every day.  At the "Flee Market" near the North Cove Plaza, nurses distribute medical supplies and toiletries.

BAG--From the HARTFORD COURANT, 9-12-2001, pg. A6: "Det. Rick Ortego was back in the 'bag,' police slang for uniform."